Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Now I know "how" I am allergic to cats

Ever since I was a little boy and had been subjected to an allergy test I've known that I would always be allergic to lots of environmental stuff and... animals.

I have always lived with animals, be they canaries, budgies or collies. When my wife-to-be moved to Ottawa, I inherited her cat. While I initially had some allergic symptoms when being in contact with Mr. Patches, I quickly became accustomed to him (as I seem to have managed to do with any or all animals throughout my life) and sneered at the doctors who told me that living with animals was to be avoided as much as possible.

When we lost Mr. Patches to illness in October I decided that despite the fact I always exclaimed that my household would never see another feline, I needed a new four-legged friend. Mr. Patches was supposed to be with us for several years and so it wasn't quite time for me to be pet-less.

Our new addition was a three month old kitten named Jersey. Once again I felt a bit of congestion when playing with or handling her, but as usual, that did not last very long. I would not get off scott free, however. What I had not anticipated was the effect of living with a feline with claws on all four paws.

It turned out that when she would innocently (or not so innocently!) scratch me, the area that she'd "attack" would redden and puff up. Itchy pain would soon follow. For the first two or three weeks I couldn't understand why this would happen. One night, my wife reminded me that I was supposed to be allergic to animals and it was almost 100% certain that I was experiencing allergic reactions after being scratched.

Sure enough, that has turned out to be the case.

While her licking me has little or no effect, my handling or playing with her doesn't bug me much. I'm puzzled by what venom must be present in her tiny little claws. I know there isn't any - she's not a snake - but regardless, a Jersey scratch has as much or more of an effect than a "scratch test" at my friendly neighbourhood allergist. Of course, that is most likely because an allergist pricks you - he doesn't drag the needle over a two or three inch area on your arm!!

So, while I had initially toyed with the idea of not subjecting Jersey to the pain that comes with de-clawing surgery, I have no choice but to bring her in. I know that Mr. Patches did not suffer any long term effects when my wife had the procedure done to him, so Jersey will be good as new soon enough.

Once she's healed up, we will be able to enjoy each other's company without one being a detriment to the other. We'll then be able to live happily ever after!!!

But who knew?! I sure didn't...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home